Thursday, April 9, 2020

Sweet Hawaiian Rolls - baking our way out of cabin fever

Today is another "remain at home" day, along with pretty steady rain - not even getting a walk today. What to do? Bake!

Here is the recipe, which is a merging of several different recipes we found online (I lost my notes - apologies!).

We used a bread machine to do the kneading of the dough.

Into the tub we placed:

  • 0.5 cup orange juice (pasteurized)
  • 1 tablespoon of instant dry yeast
  • 1/4 cup light brown sugar
  • 1/4 tsp Stevoside (the really, really strong powdered Stevia)
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla paste
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 extra egg yolk (set the white aside - you need it later to brush the rolls before baking them)
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1 teaspoon of freshly grated ginger root (peel, then grate the peeled ginger)
  • 1/4 cup unsalted butter - ok to drop a part of a stick in so long as it is not frozen, it does not need melted if using a bread machine to knead the dough
Mix this up and let it sit until the yeast has woken up (some bubbles start to form, often takes 15 minutes at 68 degrees Fahrenheit).

Add 3 cups of all-purpose flour and 1 teaspoon salt. Turn on the bread machine to mix it. Eventually the dough will be sticky but not stick to the container that it is mixing in. If too wet, add flour two tablespoons at a time (roughly) and reknead.

Allow it to rise till doubled, then turn the oven to 350 F and put a sheet of parchment paper on a cookie sheet.

Knead the dough again.

I spray oil on the cutting board (polypropylene slab) and turn the dough out. I then oil my hands with canola oil and form the dough into a long even log. Cut it in half. Repeat with each half. Repeat with each quarter. Repeat with each eighth. Now you should have 16 evenly sized balls of dough.

Arrange the balls of dough on the parchment paper, then whisk the egg white and about the same amount of water.  Paint the top of each roll with some of the egg white mix.

Now wait. Wait a bit more. When the rolls are doubled in size, put them into the oven for 20 to 22 minutes - keep an eye on them, ovens can vary quite a bit.

When the color of the photo, pull them out and put on a cooling rack.


No comments:

Post a Comment